Home

Tuesday 19 January 2016

How hard it is to be a 'Domestic Goddess'!!!

What a busy weekend it has been!  I spent the whole time sewing in order to get my Mini Mania challenge complete before the end of January.  We have had two months to get it finished and I shall probably go right to the wire.  We have to make a 9 block sampler quilt, no bigger than 20" (51cms) and I have dug deep into my past to come up with these.  Quite literally I have gone back to the drawing board (or graph paper) to design them but thank goodness for this book that I have had for years and always comes up trumps on these occasions.


Lots of small triangles and smaller squares and as this is a sneaky peek no colours.

In between sewing I have also been baking -
These are Peppermint Cracknells, but I think I did not add enough peppermint oil because I can't taste it.  Very yummy.

This is a Devils Food Cake and I have never made it before.  Proper American frosting but I don't think I whisked it long enough because it is slowly descending off the cake!!  Perhaps an American reader can advise me what I have done wrong.

Finally a Caramel Apple Cake that I think I have made before.  Anyway I shall have to see if they are eaten up.  May have some left over to take to Higham Piecemakers tomorrow evening!

I woke up on Sunday morning and when I drew my curtains, this is what greeted me!

Snow, though it didn't last long and was gone by the evening, but my bird table has been very popular.

Well the washing machine has now been mended and has a new drum.  Thank goodness I am on a contract because the engineer told me how much it would have cost - probably cheaper to have a new machine.  Now to clear the backlog of washing.

5 comments:

  1. I think I will miss the leftovers this evening, probably best for the waistline!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will miss the leftovers this evening, probably best for the waistline!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the finished sampler quilt, your sewing is always beautiful! I wish I lived nearer to you, I have Higham Piece makers envy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the finished sampler quilt, your sewing is always beautiful! I wish I lived nearer to you, I have Higham Piece makers envy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cakes look great, and why worry about minor things like frosting when they taste good. Our washing machine also gave up the ghost, mind you it was 20 years old so we didn't even bother with an engineer.....must be the month got breakdowns 😬

    ReplyDelete